Monday, January 12, 2009

Exercise - It's not as hard as I thought!

I decided last night that I was going to faithfully start walking every day, but this morning came and, as the day progressed, I almost talked myself out of it.  I was going to walk on the Tread Climber this a.m. early, after I got my DD off to school, but my boss called and had to have a job by early afternoon.  So, I spent the morning getting that out.  Then I was going to walk after I got dinner thrown into the crock-pot.  It was a beautiful day outside, temperatures up in the upper 50s; but then it was time for my soap.  (I only watch one -- I know it was an excuse...).  I was then going to walk between picking up the little boy my mother takes care of and picking up my DD from her clarinet lesson, but then there really wasn't enough time.  So, I had pretty much decided not to walk.

 

I then got to thinking that I'm never going to get into the habit of walking if I don't start.  I could probably think of hundreds of excuse as to why I can't or don't want to or whatever.  So, I got the leashes on the dogs, my iPod in my pocket, and out the door I went.  Of course, walking two dogs at once can be a little rough.  They never want to go the same way, but things were okay until one of them spotted a squirrel.  I thought he was going to drag me down the sidewalk.  I got him back in control and then there came a cat.  Off he tried to go again.  But we walked a mile in 35 minutes.  I know that probably isn't very fast, but it's great for me.  Here I am, it's 56 degrees outside and I'm sweating.  I didn't wear a coat, just a long-sleeve shirt, and I'm still sweating.  Does that tell you how out of shape I am?  But....

 

I noticed an amazing thing.  I was only able to walk twice last week, once a mile around the neighborhood and once on the Tread Climber, but, today, I wasn't as worn out when I got home.  I couldn't believe it.  This is only my third time to walk, but I was already noticing a difference.  Wow!!  I also recovered much quicker than I did last week.  I'm just amazed.  So, not only do I feel good because I walked and have a lovely endorphin high, I feel like I can do it again without worrying about it.  YEA!!!!!!!

 

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!!! I so hate exercise. You did great! I did the 2 mile WATP this afternoon and I thought that sadistic so and so was going to kill me!!!! I wish I wasn't worn out when I was done. I could barely take my socks off! Keep up the fantastic work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT job! I am convinced that moving and being consistent about it are key. I am working out at the gym this year...and it does feel great!

    I am so glad that you are getting into the swing of walking. Let's hope the "21 days to make it a habit" thing is true!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Texas, United States
I've been married to Dave since February of '88. Between us we have four children, two DD and two DS. I live in a suburb of nice, hot, sunny, humid Houston.